transfer to us
choose foster wales newport
Foster Wales Newport is your Local Authority foster team. We’re committed to building brighter futures for children and young people all across Newport, not for profit.
We’re part of the wider Foster Wales team – a national collective of all the Local Authority fostering agencies in Wales. This means that if you’re fostering with your Local Authority, you’re already part of the Foster Wales team.
If you are an existing foster carer and you not foster as part of your Local Authority yet, you can transfer to Foster Wales.
benefits of fostering with local authority
Unlike an independent fostering agency (IFA), here at Foster Wales Newport as the Local Authority we have the ultimate responsibility for all the children in our local area who need foster care. This means we are committed to providing an exceptional level of care and support.
We always put people before profit, and we prioritise keeping children in the local communities they know and love. We can do this because as a not-for-profit organisation, all the funding we receive goes towards the service we provide and nowhere else.
We offer not only outstanding support and guidance but also a competitive package of finance and rewards, so you’ll know that your role as a foster parent will be packed full of perks and rewards.
what we offer at foster wales newport
- Generous financial allowances. For example, right now in Newport there are foster carers who receive £660 per week for fostering 2 children aged 4 and 8 years old. Read more about foster carer pay here.
- Men Who Care – group that offers peer support and is part of the package of extra assistance
- Mentoring support from experienced local foster carers
- A highly connected support network for children looked after experiencing difficulties in education
- Guidance, support and training from My Support Team (MyST) – an effective alternative to residential care for children who are looked after with highly complex needs
- Free tickets to Newport Dragons home games at Rodney Parade
- Free gym and swim access for the whole fostering family
Read more about support and rewards here.
"I looked into the ethics of commercial fostering agencies. Once I had done a bit of research and realised that taxpayer’s money is going into private ownership for profit, it didn’t take me long to decide to transfer. "
–Angela, Newport foster carer
Read the full story here.
how to transfer to us
The process to move from your current fostering agency to the local Authority is straightforward.
In our first chat we will talk openly about how the process is going to work for you. As you are already in the fostering world, the process is going to be specific to your circumstances.
We want to know how we will best support you going forward, identify any needs and make sure we know you inside out for future matching, so at each step, the experience will be unique to you.
To find out more, download our transfer guide available below.
get your transfer guide
Click on the button below to receive ‘Transfer to Us’ guide which includes more information on benefits of transferring to us, how the process works and why you should transfer to Foster Wales Newport.